Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Valentine's Day 2008, Part 4



I need a different angle... a classic movie, drama, pathos, chiaroscuro...









Dime-Store Lace and Leather Soles









Crime was down, and the sun was up. That's bad for business when you're a private eye.




The only mug I'd seen all day was my own, looking back at me from my last Bubble Up. I had one swig left, and I was saving that for closing time.

Before I could get up, the door opened, and trouble blew in.




Trouble comes in all sizes. This one was 5'4, with curves like neon and eyes like a Frigidaire.





Are you Bruce Cupid, snoop-for-hire?




That's what the door says, sweetheart.




My name is Faith Mulberry. Mr. Cupid, you must help me.
My sister Hope is missing.

Times are tough, but I can afford to pay you and cover expenses.




I've always wanted to take a case on faith. So, what's the job?









No, no, no... with a mystery, you gotta start with the ending, then work backwards...








Put that Roscoe down, doll -- you don't want to do that.




What about your sister? What about us?
...don't we have something good?




Hope? I lost her last year.
It was springtime when a young man's fancy turned to my sister. You didn't even know her, Mr. Cupid, and you shot her, you shot him. They fell for each other, and got married.

No, you won't get the drop on me.
Not if I shoot you first...








Nah... I can't tell a story about heartbreak and disappointment for Valentine's Day...

to be concluded...

No comments: